Join for Free

Wedding Forums

Welcome to Ireland's Favourite Wedding Community

Questions for priest??

Questions for priest??

Unread postby Virginia Woolf » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Ladies,
So we have our first official meeting with our priest tomorrow. I see him all the time and have a chat and obviously he has us booked in for the wedding but tomorrow is the first official stuff. So I wonder is there any questions I should ask? Was thinking of it today and I'm totally drawing a blank.

Virginia Woolf
Goddess Missie

Likes given: 39 times
Likes received: 111 times

Re: Questions for priest??

Unread postby glee26 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:42 pm

cant think of anything. He will be sure to tell you everything that you need to do.

Our priest went through everything then at the end he gave us a leaflet regarding church fee, pre marriage course etc.

Good luck :)
glee26
Addicted Missie

Likes given: 40 times
Likes received: 47 times

Unread postby Its_my_day_soon » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:54 pm

if you have an idea about your music you could run it by him. as some places can be very strict about music choice.
Its_my_day_soon
Super Missie

Likes given: 37 times
Likes received: 89 times

Unread postby summerbride28 » Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:00 pm

yeah id maybe ask him does he want a list of the music you pick and a copy of order of service when they are done to look over and maybe some info on pre marriage courses and if you want to ask him about rehearsals and that just so you have an idea of when it will be !!! and fees for the church and who gets what etc !!! and make sure you get all the info you need in regards to registering your marriage because are priest didnt tell us about it and we had to go to court!!

Lauren x
summerbride28
Fanatic Missie

Likes given: 35 times
Likes received: 31 times

Unread postby stick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:32 am

Ask him which Pre Marriage course you have to do.
and as other said about teh musci, some preists onyl allow regilious music

also you could ask about decorating the church-if u want candles they migthnt allow them. etc.
u might hav to use the flower people who always do the church.

summerbride28 wrote:and make sure you get all the info you need in regards to registering your marriage because are priest didnt tell us about it and we had to go to court!!
this is no longer the obligation of the priest, tis done through the HSE for teat very reason, the onus is on the couple to know the time frames
stick
Senior Missie

Likes given: 1 time
Likes received: 17 times

Unread postby fairykitty » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:39 am

you could also ask if they allow confetti in the church grounds?
And, if you plan on inviting the priest to your wedding reception, maybe mention it to him then? (we did when we had our meeting, and he was delighted to be asked).
And also, any fees involved for himself, sacristan alter servers etc...
fairykitty
Regular Missie

Likes given: 25 times
Likes received: 20 times

Unread postby summerbride28 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:40 pm

stick wrote:Ask him which Pre Marriage course you have to do.

also you could ask about decorating the church-if u want candles they migthnt allow them. etc.

summerbride28 wrote:and make sure you get all the info you need in regards to registering your marriage because are priest didnt tell us about it and we had to go to court!!
this is no longer the obligation of the priest, this done through the HSE for teat very reason, the onus is on the couple to know the time frames

how on earth are you meant to know this if you have never been married??? how would the HSE know you are getting married??? i didnt no we had to go to HSE or any of the legal stuff!!! i though you go to the priest and that was that may sound dumb but we never got our 'What to do when you get engaged Manual' so i dont no how its up to the HSE to tell you if you dont no to go to them in the first place!! ive never been married before!!

Lauren x
summerbride28
Fanatic Missie

Unread postby stick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:28 pm

summerbride28 wrote:
stick wrote:Ask him which Pre Marriage course you have to do.

this is no longer the obligation of the priest, this done through the HSE for teat very reason, the onus is on the couple to know the time frames

how on earth are you meant to know this if you have never been married??? how would the HSE know you are getting married??? i didnt no we had to go to HSE or any of the legal stuff!!! i though you go to the priest and that was that may sound dumb but we never got our 'What to do when you get engaged Manual' so i dont no how its up to the HSE to tell you if you dont no to go to them in the first place!! ive never been married before!!

Why should the prest have to tell you pre nup is all they have to do.
Did you not look up the internet and see what had to be done.
How naiive of you and your partner
I hadnt been married before but found out all the information that was needed.

how would teh HSE know....... you register your intent to marry
stick
Senior Missie

Unread postby Virginia Woolf » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:36 pm

Whoops didn't mean to start an argument. thanks for all the replies. Am armed with a list of questions :D

Virginia Woolf
Goddess Missie

Likes given: 39 times
Likes received: 111 times

Unread postby Its_my_day_soon » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:52 pm

alright girls settle!!! Stick your being a bit sharp, you have a point yes, but you can get it across in a nicer way.
I certainly know that my priest asked me more than once during the pre nup enquiry, was I sure I had registered with the state. Really now its no skin of a priests nose to mention the legal aspects of marriage registration with the HSE.
It only changed in 2007, my family certainly hadn't a clue when I started rabbiting on about that I needed to go the the HSE to register the wedding. Mum was quite upset she thought I meant I was having a civil ceremony.
Fair play to you stick for being thorough in your wedding prep, not everybody is a thorough and they come here for help and advice, that is what mrs2be is all about. Being told that your naive.... well its just not nice.
Its_my_day_soon
Super Missie

Likes given: 37 times
Likes received: 89 times

Unread postby summerbride28 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 4:41 pm

this is no longer the obligation of the priest, this done through the HSE for teat very reason, the onus is on the couple to know the time frames[/quote]

how on earth are you meant to know this if you have never been married??? how would the HSE know you are getting married??? i didnt no we had to go to HSE or any of the legal stuff!!! i though you go to the priest and that was that may sound dumb but we never got our 'What to do when you get engaged Manual' so i dont no how its up to the HSE to tell you if you dont no to go to them in the first place!! ive never been married before!![/quote]

Why should the prest have to tell you pre nup is all they have to do.
Did you not look up the internet and see what had to be done.
How naiive of you and your partner
I hadnt been married before but found out all the information that was needed.

how would teh HSE know....... you register your intent to marry[/quote]

who the hell are you to tell me i am niieve ?? i have been busy organising everything to do with the wedding as well as looking after children and working!!!! how dare you im sorry im not as perfect as you getting every fine detail done to a t!!!!! the cheek of you i was just giving OP some advice and all the other girls on here i spoke to said their priest told them so i was going on my experience in hope she would be as niieve as you put it as i was!!!! the bloody cheek of you to look down your nose mrs no it all!!! well god help you h2b unless he is just as much as a snob as you are!!!!! some people dont have access to the ineternet that much so really the only way they could find out is from the priest now get of her high horse and try being less of a snob!!!!

Lauren x
summerbride28
Fanatic Missie

Unread postby stick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:49 pm

Summerbride28 sending me private abusive messages. dont worry I've reported you.
stick
Senior Missie

Unread postby letmeeatcake » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:59 pm

I think this thread has gotten a little out of control! I think poor BeckyM's thread has been hijacked and turned into all out warfare! :mrgreen:

To be fair, I only heard about registering our intent to marry on this site, but our church did give us a pamphlet on getting married and all the aspects regarding this, where they outlined everything that needed to be done, including registering with the HSE. As it only came in 4 years ago, my mother had never heard of it, so it would have been quite easy to miss had I not been on this site every day! I hope your meeting with the priest goes ok, BeckyM! :clapper
letmeeatcake
Goddess Missie

Likes given: 90 times
Likes received: 119 times

Unread postby summerbride28 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 9:37 pm

sorry beckym didnt mean for the madness!! just didnt want anyone else having to go through what we did, i cried for a day when i found out so ill mention it to anybody i can because unless somebody tells you about it it can be easily overlooked and its just not worth the stress it causes!! ive no friends married and im doing everything on my own as my h2b works abroad and im not lucky enough to still have my mother with us and head bm lives up the north!!! hence my rant at being called niieve. but listen enjoy every minute of the planning it all goes just so quick!!!.

stic i sent you a message asking you not to publicly belittle me just for giving advice!! nothing wrong with that there are no rules saying i cant msg you!!! im so sick of nasty people that cause trouble from no where!!! thank god your the only one ive come across on this!!! i dont no if your having a bad day or what but maybe you should keep it to yourself. these forms are all about supporting and giving advice and helping each other through any hiccups we may meet not knocking someone down just because you didnt like advice they gave somenone else!!

any way its done now im not having petty squabbles with someone who i dont no and frankly doesnt mean sh**t to me.

as for the rest of you ladies happy planning!!!

Lauren x
summerbride28
Fanatic Missie

Unread postby stick » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:38 am

summerbride28 wrote:stic i sent you a message asking you not to publicly belittle me just for giving advice!! nothing wrong with that there are no rules saying i cant msg you!!! im so sick of nasty people that cause trouble from no where!!! thank god your the only one ive come across on this!!! i dont no if your having a bad day or what but maybe you should keep it to yourself. these forms are all about supporting and giving advice and helping each other through any hiccups we may meet not knocking someone down just because you didnt like advice they gave somenone else!!

any way its done now im not having petty squabbles with someone who i dont no and frankly doesnt mean sh**t to me.

as for the rest of you ladies happy planning!!!

you never asked me anything in that private message:this is it in case you have forgotten
who do you think you are coming on here and publicly slating me like
that??? how dare you!!! your only on here a wet day so dont go making
enemys for yourself. that was downright rude of you and i wont have it
whoever you think you are!!!!

and for the record I said you were Naiive-which means didnt equipment yourselves with the correct information,
you have said alot worse to me and HOW DARE YOU calle me or my HUSBAND A SNOB
[quote="summerbride28]

who the hell are you to tell me i am niieve ?? i have been busy organising everything to do with the wedding as well as looking after children and working!!!! how dare you im sorry im not as perfect as you getting every fine detail done to a t!!!!! the cheek of you i was just giving OP some advice and all the other girls on here i spoke to said their priest told them so i was going on my experience in hope she would be as niieve as you put it as i was!!!! the bloody cheek of you to look down your nose mrs no it all!!! well god help you h2b unless he is just as much as a snob as you are!!!!! some people dont have access to the ineternet that much so really the only way they could find out is from the priest now get of her high horse and try being less of a snob!!!![/quote]
stick
Senior Missie

Unread postby Ev25 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 am

Ah grow up! Little to be at!!!!
Can't believe you are still carrying it on instead of lettin it go, big deal she didn't know she had to register now she does! Let it go :banghead
Ev25
Junior Missie

Likes given: 0 time
Likes received: 2 times

Unread postby summerbride28 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:14 am

oh get over it!!!! ive no interest in talking to you anymore you were rude and condescending out of nowhere and that is that if you look at the above posts you might realize im not the only one that thinks so!!!

you never asked me anything in that private message:this is it in case you have forgotten
who do you think you are coming on here and publicly slating me like
that??? how dare you!!! your only on here a wet day so dont go making
enemys for yourself. that was downright rude of you and i wont have it
whoever you think you are!!!!

when someone puts a question mark after a sentence that usually means they ARE ASKING A QUESTION and if you notice above i put several, how did you not no this didnt they teach this to you at school??? How niieve of you!!!

now please just let it go i have no interest in carrying on this conversation with you i have a wediing to plan!!! good luck and goodbye!!!!!

Lauren x
summerbride28
Fanatic Missie

Unread postby Claire » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:23 am

Ladies, this thread is getting out of hand, so I have to lock the thread.
These forums are here to share information and be supportive, not to be nasty or have public quarrels.
Claire,
Mrs2be.ie co-founder

twitter | facebook
Claire
Mrs2Be Admin

Likes given: 26 times
Likes received: 210 times

Return to General Wedding Discussion