Excitement is killing me!

misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Hi Ladies!

My OH suggested that we go shopping for engagement rings about a month ago. He explained that he wasn't going to propose just yet but wanted to know exactly what I would want for when the time came. I was happy out and we both fell in love with the same ring! The only problem is that this was a month ago! And we have agreed not to tell anyone until he actually proposes. The waiting is just killing me and not being able to tell anyone is so hard! Eeep hopefully I'm not waiting too long! I'm just so excited!

Anyone else have asimilar story? How long were you waiting?

xx
kony21
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Oh my god you poor thing!! Have you really not told anyone???

Mine used a silver cubic zirconia to propose because he knows how fussy l am and that l wanted to have a say over something ll be wearing for the rest of my life! Have you talked about it since?
misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
No I haven't told anyone! Well except everyone here :P I'm trying not to bring it up because I don't want to ruin the "surprise". It's so hard not telling anyone but I feel a little better about it after writing here. He did say that it wouldn't happen straight away but I guess I just thought he was trying to make it more of a surprise when he did it.
kony21
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Well a secret unofficial congratulations so lol....  he could be waiting for a meaningful day or simply saving up for the ring! They're not cheap!
misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Haha Thank you very much! I'd say he is saving in fairness we only bought our house last year so we aren't exactly flush with cash. I'm just going to have to try to put it out of my mind, easier said than done though!
kony21
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Without a doubt it's all so expensive we're buying at the moment! There's no harm looking at stuff and getting ideas it'll happen probably when you least expect it!!
amgcl
user for 6 years
5 years ago
Misty, that's exactly how we did it, enjoy the time it's nice having it just between the two of you!! I was only waiting about 5 weeks but i wouldn't change anything about the way we did it, it's soo exciting, try keep it to yourself though I tink you would regret it if you told anyone! Kinda spoils the magic, congrats!!
misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Oh it's great to hear someone else did the same thing! It's so exciting but at the same time really hard to not tell my mam and sister who I'm very close to. You're right though amgcl, I would regret it if I told them now.

Thanks ladies, it's making me feel so much less likely to explode being able to talk to ye!
kony21
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Keeping coming here so if it helps to keep it secret
Danie1702
user for 5 years
5 years ago
OMG its too exciting! you need to fill us in when he finally does pop the question
misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Oh I will for sure, still nothing yet though! He did let it slip that he has his proposal planned. I think it'll be in the summer, it our anniversary and the anniversary of when we moved in to our home around the same time so would be a very special time. But who knows, could be tomorrow! Hopefully not too long, we're talking about the wedding and making plans even though we're not engaged yet! Should prob stop doing that, I don't want to take any of the fun away!
2016BrideJuly
user for 5 years
5 years ago
We spoke about getting married over time and said yes we will some day and even window shopped for that day just now and again as I'd said I would have liked to pick my own ring  but sure then one thing or another always popped up. Finances were a big issue that hit our household as with most people these days

8 years later however he totally took me by surprise when he proposed as he'd been saving on the Q.T  without me knowing which is a hard job to do with me when I'm the Accountant of the household, he also picked out my ring and I absolutely love it so wouldn't have it any other way

Everyone has their own stories and each of ours are perfect in their own way to us so I'm sure when he gets around to it, it will be worth the wait ;-)

Enjoy the waiting game, He might get you when you least expect it
Danie1702
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Ye my partner took me totally by surprise we were saving for a house when he asked so it was definitely the last thing i had thought would happen!
misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
I think its always a surprise on some level, even though I know it's coming in still going to get such a (happy) shock when it actually happens! Can't wait to see how he does it and can't wait to tell everyone.
Danie1702
user for 5 years
5 years ago
We all look forward to hearing about your engagement too best of luck xx
misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Thanks hun, hopefully not waiting too long!xx
Aldalithe
user for 5 years
5 years ago
I ended up waiting about a month, we were out for a friends birthday and he asked if he were to ask, what kind of ring would I like? Haha not the most subtle, but we were both a few drinks in!

I sent him pictures of some the next day, neither of us mentioned it til a month later when we were at home for my goddaughters christening and he got down on one knee in the Japanese Gardens (: I was relieved, his friend (our best man to be and the birthday boy from above)was dropping hints that I'd have to wait til November, got the ring in August instead.

Looking forward to hearing your story, good luck!
yesIsaidyes
user for 8 years
5 years ago
We decided  to  get  married  at  Christmas  three  years  ago  and  he  actually  proposed  and  we  announced  it  in JUNE following! The girls  on here  were  so  good  letting  me chat  about  it  and pinterest  also  helped  :-) come  on here  as often  as you like, we love  a good engagement  story  around  here :D
misty
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Well girls I lost my job  after going ring shopping and just back to work now so that put a fair delay on things. He ended up paying for everything for a while so  guessing he wasn't able to save much and he's said that it's important to  him to get me a nice ring as I'll be wearing  it forever. I'm back working now so he can start saving again but could be a while. It's so  hard, I'd be happy with a plastic ring from pennys at this stage!

On the plus side I pretty much have the wedding planned already so I think when he does  pop the question I'll book the big stuff straight away and then won't have to listen to anyone telling me what we "have to do" or "where the venue has to be " :P
yesIsaidyes
user for 8 years
5 years ago
Could  you  book  them now  anyway? One  of  the  girls  who  got  married  earlier  this  year  booked  the big  things  before they  even  announced  the  engagement.
Aldalithe
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Sorry to hear about your job, but glad you're back on your feet! If you've not got the deposit for some of the bigger things you could even start some DIY if you know what you want! If ye end up having a short engagement you might be glad of getting some of it done early if possible. You'll just need to make sure it's all out of sight when people come round ;)
saladath
user for 5 years
5 years ago
We had the venue booked before we were even properly engaged (didn't do a proposal as we'd already decided to get married, tho he might when the engagement ring comes in - it's on order - but I wouldn't bet on it) but we did have to pay €1000 deposit for it pretty much straight away, so it's money either way!
Decemberbride2016
user for 5 years
5 years ago
Hi Misty,

OMG I love your story...mine is very similar except we have ceremony/hotel and band booked and yet our announcement has to be made!!  Ring is picked and deposit is paid so I'm waiting on the big question too!!  My sister and my 2 best friends know though as I couldn't keep it from them, its very hard keeping it from my mum though as we are so close.  I am bursting with excitement and just want to talk to everyone about it.  I'm so glad to hear that we're not the only people to do something like this!

ps secret congratulations
misty
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Well ladies it finally happened! I'm still in shock, can't believe that we're actually engaged and can't stop staring at the ring which is just so beautifully perfect. My face hurts from smiling  all the time and I keep bursting into happy tears.
Decemberbride2016
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Congrats Misty,

It's such an exciting time. My man popped the question last Sat 20th, great time telling everyone our big secret at last. It really is a very happy time and so many people are excited with you too which is great. I'm still smiling and face hurts from smiling so much some days!

you can enjoy planning everything now.

xx
kony21
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Awe that's great news xx biggest congratulations l hope the ring is as special as the man :) no more secrets ....
CoolInterestingUserName
user for 5 years
4 years ago
WOW Congratulations!!

My ring is in getting cleaned and serviced for the wedding, I am so lost without it! It's mad how I still love admiring it and seeing it on my finger, I don't think it will ever get old! Really miss it and can't wait to get it back! When I left it in the shop it was like leaving behind a loved one!

Enjoy the after glow of being engaged, it's so lovely and touching how much other people are happy for you, isn't it?!

Happy planning when you start :)
misty
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Thanks Ladies, I'm so excited and just so so happy! Left the ring in to get re sized as I've lost weight since we went looking and the ring is too big even though he got the size I measured at. I miss it so much, it feels like its part of me already. Have started planning already now and it's such an exciting time. And now I don't have to hide the fact that I'm on this website!
Smallen
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Oh my god, this thread is making me cry :-) I'm in the exact same position. Going out with my BF for 4 years and we had often spoken about getting married but 2 weeks ago we had a big conversation after a few drinks and started planning it.

Ring is being made at the moment and will (fingers crossed) be ready on Friday. This is the slowest week of my life !!! Im so happy I keep crying, its such a fab feeling.

Initally I was cracking up that I had to keep it a secret but now I kid of love it. Its like being in a little bubble and when we are out my boyfriend keeps whispering 'wifey'  into my ear. Im literally on cloud nine

Ive only told my sister and her husband because she is 7 weeks pregnant and has only told me. So the 4 of us have these lovely secrets. We are having a secret celebration dinner tonight :-)

I feel so cheesy even typing this stuff.... Its amazing what engagements do to you !!

I also already have my venue and photographer booked, just waiting on contracts to sign now.

Sorry for the essay - Im just an emotional excited mess !! But glad to see Im not totally alone :-)

MrsDunneToBe
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Congrats ladies. it's so exciting. I was surprised with my engagement so I don't know this feeling. I would imagine I would combust if I had to keep it in.

Yesterday I started an Instagram account called @todo_to_ido. It is a way of sharing wedding inspiration. I would love to get Irish brides input on my posts and so It would be amazing if you would follow me.

Congrats again and happy planning :D
CalmandCollectedsofar
user for 4 years
4 years ago
We had a similar situation we were just looking to get an idea of prices but i fell in love with a ring in an antique shop from the 1930 (perfect fit) and i knew he was going to buy it but i thought hed buy it over time so i was guessing maybe a christmas propsal or a birthday/valentines (my bday is on 19th feb) so it was killing me but i told my sisters and closest friend what i suspected but then out of the blue 4 weeks later he proposed which i wasnt expecting and caught me completely off guard lol we're getting married next june :)
misty
user for 5 years
4 years ago
It's so lovely hearing other people's stories and knowing that our way of doing things isn't too crazy after all!

Smallen, I hope you're not waiting too long, it's so hard isn't it? But then it's so exciting when it becomes real with the ring. Do you think your OH will do the whole proposal when he gets the ring? And don't worry about being an emotional mess, I'm the exact same!

Your ring sounds amazing Calmandcollected! And the fact that it was a perfect fit sounds like it was meant to be.
CalmandCollectedsofar
user for 4 years
4 years ago
yeah it was and the ring was nothing like i had pictured i wanted but the H2B said he knew it was the one cause as soon as i left the shop i had completely lost all interest at looking at any other shops or rings lol

misty
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Haha yeah it's funny how that works isn't it? I had this image in my head of my perfect ring for years, before I even met my H2B, and then when we went looking I hated what I always thought I wanted and fell in love with something completely different. looking at my ring now I can't believe I ever thought of something else
Smallen
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Oh god, I hope I don't have to wait too long Misty !!! I don't know how you did it !!

I'm  keep imagining telling all the different people for 2 weeks now and its cracking me up :-)
I'm either going to get my ring this Friday or next Friday... I really really hope its this Friday.

Yea - I think he will still do something romantic, he told me that when we pick it up he will be keeping it. He wants to ask my dad first (even though I know AGES!) and then we are going to drive to the coast to tell his mom so I imagine he will ask me when we get to the beach.. then go tell his mom.

Did your H2B propose to you ?

Have you started thinking about your wedding ? How about you CalmandCollectedsofar ?
CalmandCollectedsofar
user for 4 years
4 years ago
that was it exactly with mine too, i always knew what kind i wanted and lots of shops had that type but none of them grabbed me and we were walking through town on the day and just happened across a little antique shop and went in for a look and that was that :D

CalmandCollectedsofar
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Well @smallenMy H2B had a terrible time when he proposed to me lol

He decided to do it on the first day i decided to walk home from work (i might start this by saying i never walk anywhere ever and i was gonna be walking about 8 km this day, i actually thought i was gonna die lol) so he told me to ring him when i was nearly home and hed go get a chinese so i did.  As im walking up to our apartment (completely drained and emotional enough as it was that i made it home) i hear some sizzling (by this point the chinese should have been home and being put on plates) and im wondering why he's cooking if theres a chinese.  So i open our front door ready to collapse but he's waiting in the hall in shirt and pants and before i even cross the threshold he tells me he didnt get chinese he thought it would be nice to make us a nice stake dinner and that was it thats all it took and i started roaring crying (bear in mind i was really wrecked and i hadnt even got to sit down yet and all i wanted in the world was a chinese) and when i say roaring crying i mean proper sobbing lol.  So i come in to the apartment anyway and i see everything cooking in the kitchen in the sitting room the curtains are pulled theres candles lit and a vase of roses on the table which is laid lovely but im too busy crying to notice and i go into the bedroom throw myself on the bed and continue sobbing.  So of course at this point H2B is panicking as its not exactly going as he had planned and he tells me he'll go get a chinese now and im saying there's no point and hes apologising for upsetting me so much and asking me to look at him and i genuinely said "i cant even look at u right now" it was all really dramatic on my part (but once again i cannnnnot emphasise enough how worn out i was and i think alot of it was the emotion that i made it home and if he'd just let me come in and not opened with i didnt get the chinese i think it would have been ok) lol so this is going back and forth for a while and i start to calm down a little and he disappears to the kitchen and comes back so im sitting on the bed crying and he's kneeling in front of me and eventually gets me to look at him and he says hes so sorry for upsetting me but he loved me with all his heart and would i do him the honour of spending the rest of my life with him (fair play to him for still wanting to me marry me after that fiasco) but then the best bit happens i literally throw myself back on the bed and said "you asshole........why would u propose to me when im being such a bitch to you" to which he laughed and said "is that a yes" and i said of course it was a yes and then we both started laughing and he proceeded to put the ring on the wrong finger lol

To this day H2B says he loves our engagement story cause when its told in person it is very funny and its alot more us ie he tries to do something nice and i balls it up instead of some big romantic story.  So that was it last september and we're getting married june next year and all we have left to sort out is our rings and dressing the bridal party and saving :)

so tell me ladies hows that for an engagement story? it still makes me laugh when he tells it (hes very good at telling a good sotry)

i think this is the longest post ive ever written
CalmandCollectedsofar
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Well @smallen My H2B had a terrible time when he proposed to me lol

He decided to do it on the first day i decided to walk home from work (i might start this by saying i never walk anywhere ever and i was gonna be walking about 8 km this day, i actually thought i was gonna die lol) so he told me to ring him when i was nearly home and hed go get a chinese so i did.  As im walking up to our apartment (completely drained and emotional enough as it was that i made it home) i hear some sizzling (by this point the chinese should have been home and being put on plates) and im wondering why he's cooking if theres a chinese.  So i open our front door ready to collapse but he's waiting in the hall in shirt and pants and before i even cross the threshold he tells me he didnt get chinese he thought it would be nice to make us a nice stake dinner and that was it thats all it took and i started roaring crying (bear in mind i was really wrecked and i hadnt even got to sit down yet and all i wanted in the world was a chinese) and when i say roaring crying i mean proper sobbing lol.  So i come in to the apartment anyway and i see everything cooking in the kitchen in the sitting room the curtains are pulled theres candles lit and a vase of roses on the table which is laid lovely but im too busy crying to notice and i go into the bedroom throw myself on the bed and continue sobbing.  So of course at this point H2B is panicking as its not exactly going as he had planned and he tells me he'll go get a chinese now and im saying there's no point and hes apologising for upsetting me so much and asking me to look at him and i genuinely said "i cant even look at u right now" it was all really dramatic on my part (but once again i cannnnnot emphasise enough how worn out i was and i think alot of it was the emotion that i made it home and if he'd just let me come in and not opened with i didnt get the chinese i think it would have been ok) lol so this is going back and forth for a while and i start to calm down a little and he disappears to the kitchen and comes back so im sitting on the bed crying and he's kneeling in front of me and eventually gets me to look at him and he says hes so sorry for upsetting me but he loved me with all his heart and would i do him the honour of spending the rest of my life with him (fair play to him for still wanting to me marry me after that fiasco) but then the best bit happens i literally throw myself back on the bed and said "you asshole........why would u propose to me when im being such a bitch to you" to which he laughed and said "is that a yes" and i said of course it was a yes and then we both started laughing and he proceeded to put the ring on the wrong finger lol

To this day H2B says he loves our engagement story cause when its told in person it is very funny and its alot more us ie he tries to do something nice and i balls it up instead of some big romantic story.  So that was it last september and we're getting married june next year and all we have left to sort out is our rings and dressing the bridal party and saving :)

so tell me ladies hows that for an engagement story? it still makes me laugh when he tells it (hes very good at telling a good sotry)

i think this is the longest post ive ever written
Smallen
user for 4 years
4 years ago
I think that’s a lovely engagement story ! It’s nice that's it’s funny and that it’s more like ye !!

I don’t know what ours will be. It’s a big thing to my dad that H2B asks him so I won’t want my parents to know that we have been planning this for two weeks now (and are almost at booking point with the venue and photographer !! J).

Oh god, I really hope I get my ring tomorrow  - I don’t think I can go through another week of this !!

<span style="line-height: 1.5;">k</span>
Decemberbride2016
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Hi calmandcollectedsofar and smallen!

My god your story is so funny calmandcollectedsofar..I can just imagine the poor fella...fair play to him doing it then but he kinda had to after all his planning.

Smallen I hope you get your ring today, its nice having the secret between just a few people.

I was purposed to and got my ring 2 weeks tomorrow and I'm so happy everyone knows now at last, its hard keeping such a secret but I can tell you now it is so exciting when you can eventually tell everyone and the excitment is still going. I'm exchausted from it all. Out again tomorrow night with friends for more drinks!! Imagine what the lead up to wedding will be like when the engagement is like this!!
misty
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Oh my god @calmandcollectedsofar that is the funniest engagement story ever! Also it made me crave chinese food so much that I had to go and get some when I read it. Dress diet can start on Monday!

Did you get the ring yet @smallen ?? I hope you got it yesterday, the waiting is so hard!

I got my romantic proposal, on the beach with a hidden photographer to capture the moment and champagne waiting. It was absolutely perfect! God every time I think about it I can't help smiling like an idiot! :) It really is such a great feeling @decemberbride2016 isn't it?  I think the telling people is even better when you had to keep the secret first.