How long before wedding do you buy dress

weddingfairy
user for 4 years
4 years ago
hey guys im helping plan my friends wedding how long before the wedding should she start looking and buy the dress
Lcconnor
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Im having mine in june 2017 and ive bought my dress already. Im a bit to organised but when I was in the shop they said if its not off the rack it can take 8/9 months to get it in :)
MrsBelardo2b
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Well Im getting married in September 2017 and I wasn't even thinking of going dress shopping but one evening I decided to have a look online at dresses just to have an idea of styles and price and I ended up falling in love with this one dress which is on promotion at half price.

I figure for the price and the fact I absolutely love it I might as well go try it on otherwise I'll always be wondering. So I booked an appointment to go in three weeks time....very excited!!!

Plus the woman in the shop said if I do end up getting it, it will take between 6-9 months to get it back made to my measurements so when you think of it that way I don't think its all that early! I would say though that this is kind of a classic style that I can't see going out of fashion much in 2 years and maybe bare the style in mind when you do go looking whenever you decide to. ;-)
lanzbride
user for 4 years
4 years ago
`Bought mine early last year for July this year . When i saw it i couldnt leavebitbthere . Afraid i wouldnt get one like it later . Then i was afraid in case i saw a nicer one so stopped llooking at dress's completly
Lcconnor
user for 4 years
4 years ago
yeah ive stopped looking completely too. Especially because it will be so long before I see mine again I don't want to forget how much I love it by falling another lovely one :)
nextmrsb2b
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Yeah Ive stopped looking too, afraid I might see another and think, what if!!?!!
Mrssmith2016
user for 4 years
4 years ago
My you's ladies are on the ball. I may get myself in gear lol.
Flightyrose16
user for 4 years
4 years ago
I'm getting married April 2016 and have not gone dress shopping yet! I plan on getting it sorted this June/July. Hope I have not left it too late eeekk
bridiekk
user for 5 years
4 years ago
I'm April 2016 too. I started looking in October/November and thought it would take ages to find one I liked. I found it in November but needed to save up a bit (wrong side of Christmas) to pay the deposit. I tried it on again and ordered it in early March. I think for my designer, the shop was saying at least 6 months @flightyrose16 but some designers might be longer turnaround time. You should be fine though. I just know my dress will need alterations so I got it early. I was also afraid it was going to be discontinued as I found it before the year/season changed.
CoolInterestingUserName
user for 4 years
4 years ago
I think the typical advice is to get your dress 6-9 months before.

I would be scared ordering it too soon as styles change and I might see something else I'd prefer or worse I might fall out of love with what I ordered!!

I went dress shopping in Feb 15 for our July 15 wedding. Most places said I was on the brink of having issues getting it in on time but should be OK and one said I'd have to pay an extra €250 for a rush order. Ended up getting a completely made to measure dress that I wasn't measured for until March. Have already had my first fitting and going for second next week.

You can also buy in sample sales or in vintage/second hand shops, I've heard of brides getting amazing dresses at a fraction of the cost a month before their wedding
tinkerbell26
user for 4 years
4 years ago
I am getting married September 2016. I have booked a week of work at the end of September this year to start my wedding dress shopping. Have a few appointments made. Although I have an appointment made for in a few weeks time. I purely just want to try dresses on. I am not buying yet until September. In saying that my lovely mummy is buying it for me!!!!
cazp9007
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Oh I must get looking. Thought it was way to early yet but maybe not!!!
tobe50shades
user for 4 years
3 years ago
I am getting married in May 2016 and was very worried about this so had my dress on the top of my list.

Word of caution - my friend is getting married in July 2016 and has just been told that her dress is coming 2 weeks before her wedding date! Doesn't leave much time to alterations etc so I would advise looking at dresses as soon as is feasible.
tinkerbell26
user for 4 years
3 years ago
Getting Married September '16, I got my dress there at the end of August this year. She said that it should be ready and delivered in February so leaves me plenty of time for fittings, etc...
amaryt0383
user for 3 years
3 years ago
Im getting married July 2017. I was planning on starting the search July 2016. By the sounds of it, I will need to start then after all. Time seems to creep by so fast.. what about bridesmaid dresses? Im steering clear of the traditional ball gown bridesmaid dress. Im going for something fitted and tea length that can be worn again.
tobe50shades
user for 4 years
3 years ago
I am getting married in May 2016 and have recently started looking at bridesmaids dresses. I think these may be harder than my own dress - different shapes, colours and necklines etc.

Going to take my MOH in the first instance to see if there is any luck with one of them, before i introduce all 4 to the scene
ekeane4484
user for 3 years
3 years ago
Getting married Oct 16 and have just made some appointments to start looking. Glad I have after reading this. I'm estimating I will need to have dress ordered by Feb the very latest!
maryparrish32
user for 2 years
2 years ago
as soon as you fall in love with one! im trying not to rush because, you know, trends and fashion... pretty dresses keep being created and i would advise you to look for one not early than a half a year before. but it also depends on how important the dress is for you and how much money you are planning to spend.
Brianna76
user for 2 years
2 years ago
Congratulation my dear. On your wedding day everything must be perfect. So you have to talk enough time to prepare all things. The most important thing is to choose the dress.  It may take you some time to find the One, you'll need to perfectly time your three fittings, allowing for custom alterations and then some more custom alterations. You should pick your gown and pay a deposit of 50 to 60 percent 9 months before the wedding. 3months before,  The gown should be finished and at the salon. Just in case it's not, you have wiggle room before the first fitting.6 to 8 weeks before, it will be the first fitting time. The second time will be a month before the wedding. The last fitting will be 2 days before the wedding