important- if born in uk

wexbride
user for 7 years
4 years ago
hi ladies

something i found out by accident and luckily so, if you or your h2b was born in the UK an aposille cert is necessary to register your marriage i was just lucky i called in while little boy was at dentist(same building)and was told in plenty of time which still took 7 weeks thank god would hate to have taught what would have happened if i had just went today to make an app
GeorgiaRiches
user for 4 years
4 years ago
hi!

thanks so much for posting this, I went to book my appointment to book registrar last week and saw that this was needed.

do you mind me asking how you went about getting it and did it cost you much?

also did you need it for when you booked the registrar? like at the appointment? or do you just need it when you are getting married?

thanks!!
thegingerbride20
user for 4 years
4 years ago
We have the same issue, my h2b has a UK birth cert and we were told that he needed it aposilled for our meeting with the HSE to get our licence (the one at least three months before the wedding). The HSE were really helpful and gave us all the info we needed when I explained that he was not born in Ireland.

<span style="line-height: 1.5;">In the UK the process is called getting it legalised rather than aposilled though which was confusing! And they only do it via post, you can't go to an office. </span>

He ordered the birth cert online from NI and when it arrives we have to go to https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised and pay them £30. Then print out the payment slip and send it with the cert to Milton Keynes and we should have it back in 48 hours.
GeorgiaRiches
user for 4 years
4 years ago
Thanks! I am having a civil ceremony so need to arrange the registrar in time so was thinking of booking appointment soon but if I need to sort this first I better get on it! thanks so much
tobe50shades
user for 5 years
4 years ago
Hi Ladies,

I have just been through this process and it is totally fine.

I actually didn't have the apostille stamped birth certificate before I registered but the lady dealing with registration was kind enough to put through our notification and then we can bring the document to her before the wedding to be verified - would need to check with the office before you risk doing so though!

Otherwise - it is the Legalisation Office at the Foreign and Commonwealth Office in Milton Keynes that you need to send the docs too. They are quite quick!