The dress & The diet – advice needed!

Write a Reply
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

• Participant
    Registered On: May 28, 2014
    Topics: 3
    Replies: 8
    [pm_user user_id="2" in_the_loop="0" text="Send PM"]
    • CBFi
    • 3 years, 10 months ago

Hi girls,

I’ve a lot of weight to lose (realistically 6 stone to within healthy weight range) – I don’t expect to lose it all before getting married (Dec 4, 2015) but I want to lose as much as I can (4 would be great), and especially before I have to go dress shopping! I’m so so nervous about dress shopping 🙁 I don’t want it to depress me.

I’m planning on buying a second hand dress for financial reasons. What’s the latest before wedding I could starting shopping, when would be final alterations, etc?

Any diet and dress shopping advice, tips, encouragement welcome!

Xxx

Participant
    Registered On: May 20, 2014
    Replies: 218

Hi CBFi!
    I know the feeling about dress shopping. I was very nervous!
    I had/still have around 6 stone to loose to be in my healthy weight range. I started at 15st 1 and I’m currently 11st 8. Still have a bit to go (I want to get to around 9st 7)
    I have always been overweight and have tried everything, from weight watchers to stupid milkshake diets so I’ve an ass load of experience in trying to loose weight!
    The only thing that has worked for me long term is good old fashioned calorie counting. Diets that have lots of ‘free’ food are very misleading. No food is calorie free. Everything has an energy value and the way to loose weight is to take in less energy then you use. As simple as that really (don’t I wish it was as easy in real life!)
    I’d recommend you get the myfitnesspal app, it’s free, and a cheap kitchen digital scales. Set your daily goal to 1 or 2 pounds a week and start logging.
    Homemade, basic foods are the way to go. You get a lot more value from potatoes, chicken breast and veg then from chips and chicken nuggets.
    Lots of people recommend slimming world and it does work for some people but I think it’s a bit gimmicky and the classes are crap.

As for timing for your dress I’m not sure really? I know regular dresses need about9-6 months to come in but for a pre loved dress I think it might depend on how picky you are about what style you want?

I’d recommend that you go try on dresses soon though, just to get a feel for them. Wedding dresses aren’t like regular clothes they’re structures differently and some can be incredibly flattering. I’ve yet to see a bride at any size who doesn’t look beautiful on her wedding day.
    The girls in cameo in kilkenny are lovely. Smart brides in portlaoise are ment to be lovely too. I’m not sure what sizes they do but I know victorias in carlow has a nice selection of plus sizes and the girl is nice too.
    In the mean while congratulations on your engagement and the best of luck planning your wedding! Let us know how you’re getting on and I’m sorry for the massive post!

Participant
    Registered On: May 28, 2014
    • CBFi
    • 3 years, 10 months ago

Thanks for the reply. I know I’m going to have to be so strict if I want to achieve the weight loss I want. What’s so depressing is i had done it and I was 2 stone from goal and I just lost it and put most of it back on. That’s very hard mentally too.

I have actually joined Slimming World as I know several people who have been successful. I agree the classes are crap-it’s just an hour of her going through everyone’s loss or gain-how is that helpful?!

Still you can eat on it and my experience has been that if my diet is too strict I just rebel!

I think I’ll leave off dress shopping till January and I’ll hopefully have lost 2 stone before then.

Xx

Participant
    Registered On: March 30, 2013
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 16
    • Wedding Date: 03-06-2016

Hi Ladies

I’m also starting my wedding weight loss journey its stressful thinking about how much I have to lose about 6 stone before I go wedding dress shopping 😯 but I’ve signed up for a weight loss course with a personal trainer :boxing and I’m really looking forward to taking control!! Then I think ill be able to enjoy the planning more and stop worrying about the dress shopping 🙄

Participant
    Registered On: January 30, 2015
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 1
    • Wedding Date: 25-04-2015

Hi ladies,

Nutrition and exercise will both help towards you reaching your goal. I’ve just started back running after a year off but am working towards being at my “happy weight” before my wedding in Sept (can’t believe it’s so close now!). I’ve also got advice on a diet plan that’s well balanced in protein, fat and carbs so I’m confident that between the two I’ll reach my goal.

On top of this I’m kicking off my journey with the Clean 9 programme from a company called Forever Living- I’ve just joined them at a distributor. I’ve started the Clean 9 today so happy to share the results in 9 days when I’ve completed it. If you’d like any info about it or the other nutrition or weight loss products I’d be happy to share the links with you.

Best of luck with your weight loss journey! 🙂

Participant
    Registered On: January 30, 2015
    Topics: 1
    Replies: 1
    • MsGBx
    • 3 years, 6 months ago
    • Wedding Date: 11-06-2016

Hi Ladies,

Just a quick one, I’m not getting married till June 2016, so I have time on my side. But after having a baby I’ve just lost 2 stone in 20 weeks doing Slimming World. As a lover of food I could never do the calorie counting etc. but with Slimming World you can eat pretty much anything you want, as long as its made from scratch. Burgers, Spaghetti Bolognese etc. You can eat limited bread, and pasta, potatoes and other carbs, so you don’t feel like you are missing out.

I know everyones different on whats easy for them but it really helped me and even though I’m now at my target weight (its free when you do!) I still go to maintain!

Hope this helps.

Gaynor x

Participant
    Registered On: December 23, 2013
    Topics: 4
    Replies: 185

How are you all getting on with the weight loss? I’ve 102 days until the wedding and starting to freak out! I really need to lose weight. I was always very skinny. Then I got an office job and fell in love so there was sitting all day and takeaways and wine with the boyfriend in the evening. Fast forward 3 years and I went from a healthy size 10 to a size14/16. At 6″ I don’t look quite as fat as all the weight I’ve put on, but I really miss my old figure! Do you think I could do it in 100 days? I’m panicking now!!

Participant
    Registered On: March 9, 2015
    Topics: 5
    Replies: 152
    • Wedding Date: 02-12-2016

Well its 3 months so give it your best shot – I need to staple my mouth shut pretty soon 🙂

Participant
    Registered On: June 5, 2014
    Replies: 146
    • Wedding Date: 30-09-2016

How are you all getting on with the weight loss? I’ve 102 days until the wedding and starting to freak out! I really need to lose weight. I was always very skinny. Then I got an office job and fell in love so there was sitting all day and takeaways and wine with the boyfriend in the evening. Fast forward 3 years and I went from a healthy size 10 to a size14/16. At 6″ I don’t look quite as fat as all the weight I’ve put on, but I really miss my old figure! Do you think I could do it in 100 days? I’m panicking now!!

You have time…..you can def drop 1.5 stone if you work at it……..aim 1-2lbs a week……Calorie counting seems to work best for me

Blocked
    Registered On: March 15, 2015
    Topics: 0
    Replies: 7
    • Wedding Date: 14-08-11

You desire to reduce your weight a certain level. It may be a stressful situation for you until you reach your destination. It is better to avoid the food that you think is responsible for increasing your weight. what I like to say is to control your temptation to your particular recipe. Drink enough water. Keep fruits and vegetables in your food menu. Don’t forget about exercise. It is must to melt excess fat. To reply your query about dress, think of dress with your taste. Costly dress is not all about. Choose the dress that exposees your personality best.

Participant

Well have lost over a stone in one month another one at least to go, how is everyone else getting on.

Participant

And boy it was hard, I was strict and totally motivated this time unlike the other thousands of times. But I’m going to keep going 🙂

Participant
    Registered On: May 2, 2015
    Topics: 10
    Replies: 72
    • Wedding Date: 09-01-2016

well done @busybride81, thats good going!!! do keep going, you will feel the benefit of it later. I’m in slimming world and I know it works-its basically just helealthy eating! Im gettting married in January and hope to have lost 2 and 1/2 stone at least! I know its possiblle as i lost 3 stone in just 6 months, with SW before (then i had my baby boy and piled on weight!). I have my dress so it should be the motivation i need, but im finding it hard this time!!

Participant
    Registered On: June 24, 2014
    Topics: 2

Great job @busybride81 keep up with the hard work.  I came across a new workout program Cize.  It’s a dance style program and could be a breathe of fresh air compared to others.  I am excited to start it once it come.  It’s worth a look into if anyone wants a change.

Participant
    Registered On: February 16, 2015
    Topics: 12
    Replies: 213
    • kony21
    • 2 years, 11 months ago
    • Wedding Date: 07102016

Just wondering how everyone is getting on? The more l seem to panic about it the more l seem to eat!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Close